- Testing Goes to Preschool
June 17, 2010
Will state and federal testing programs advance the goal of school readiness for all children?
- Standardized Classroom Observations from PreK to Third Grade: A Mechanism for Improving Quality Classroom Experiences During the P-3 Years
June 14, 2010
The widespread and systematic use of standardized observation in classrooms from pre-kindergarten to third grade has the potential to address major shortcomings in educational services provided to young children.
- Doing the Critical Things First: An Aligned Approach to PreK and Early Elementary Math
June 8, 2010
This article is reprinted from the March/April 2007 issue of the Harvard Education Letter.
- Building a Science of Classrooms: Application of the CLASS Framework in Over 4,000 U.S. Early Childhood and Elementary Classrooms
June 7, 2010
In Building a Science of Classrooms, Hamre, Pianta, Mashburn, and Downer present a scientific framework to assess classroom quality from PreK through Third Grade.
- Classroom Quality and Time Allocation in Tulsa’s Early Childhood Programs
June 7, 2010
Phillips, Gormley, and Lowenstein compare and contrast characteristics of Tulsa UPK classrooms to a sample of state-funded PK classrooms in seven states in Classroom Quality and Time Allocation in Tulsa’s Early Childhood Programs.
- Taking Stock: Assessing and Improving Early Childhood Learning and Program Quality
June 4, 2010
The final report of the National Early Childhood Accountability Task Force, Taking Stock: Assessing and Improving Early Childhood Learning and Program Quality, recommends developing a comprehensive assessment system to improve child outcomes.
- Neither Art Nor Accident: New Research Helps Define and Develop Quality PreK and Elementary Teaching
June 4, 2010
In a recent Harvard Education Letter interview, Robert Pianta, Dean of the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia, discusses the value of the Classroom Assessing Scoring system, a classroom observation instrument known as CLASS. CLASS can be an important part of professional development efforts to create high quality learning experiences for children in PreK-3rd programs by providing a common metric for documenting what goes on in classrooms from grade to grade.
- Effective Teacher-Student Interactions: Measuring and Improving Classroom Practice
June 1, 2010
The creators of the Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) recently released a Policy Brief, Effective Teacher-Student Interactions.