- PreK-3rd: Getting Literacy Instruction Right
May 16, 2013
PreK-3rd: Getting Literacy Instruction Right, the ninth in the FCD series of Policy to Action Briefs outlines the elements of strong PreK-3rd literacy instruction including: what high-quality instruction looks like,what supports enable teachers to carry out strong literacy instruction, and what policies enable schools to carry out strong PreK-3rd reading instruction.
- Watching Teachers Work: Using Observation Tools to Promote Effective Teaching in the Early Years and Early Grades
January 6, 2012
This report from the New America Foundation by Lisa Guernsey, and Susan Ochshorn, argues for improving early education through teacher reform.
- A FirstSchool Framework for Curriculum and Instruction
September 10, 2010
Many curricula can be used successfully in pre-kindergarten and elementary classrooms.
- Time is of the Essence
September 10, 2010
School improvement efforts in the U.S. should focus on rethinking the use of time.
- Testing Goes to Preschool
June 17, 2010
Will state and federal testing programs advance the goal of school readiness for all children?
- Standardized Classroom Observations from PreK to Third Grade: A Mechanism for Improving Quality Classroom Experiences During the P-3 Years
June 14, 2010
The widespread and systematic use of standardized observation in classrooms from pre-kindergarten to third grade has the potential to address major shortcomings in educational services provided to young children.
- Doing the Critical Things First: An Aligned Approach to PreK and Early Elementary Math
June 8, 2010
This article is reprinted from the March/April 2007 issue of the Harvard Education Letter.
- Building a Science of Classrooms: Application of the CLASS Framework in Over 4,000 U.S. Early Childhood and Elementary Classrooms
June 7, 2010
In Building a Science of Classrooms, Hamre, Pianta, Mashburn, and Downer present a scientific framework to assess classroom quality from PreK through Third Grade.