- The NYC Early Childhood Research Network: A Model for Integrating Research, Policy, and Practice
February 26, 2018
We can close the gap between research, policy, and practice.
- A Shared Vision for Transforming the Workforce
October 21, 2016
In April 2015, the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the report Transforming the Workforce for the Children Birth Through Age Eight: A Unifying Foundation (IOM/NRC Report). We view this report as the blueprint for the Foundation for Child Development’s work to support the preparation, competency, well-being, and on-going professional learning of the ECE workforce.
- New York City Early Childhood Research Network Summary
October 18, 2016
This two-page brief explains the formation of the New York City Early Childhood Research Network Summary and current studies examining the early care and education workforce within New York City’s Universal Prekindergarten Program.
- Transforming the Workforce for Children Birth Through Age Eight: A Unifying Foundation
October 18, 2016
This full report discusses the implications of child developmental science for early care and education professionals in terms of necessary competencies and practices, as well as the systems change needed to better support the preparation, competency, professional development, and compensation for the early care and education workforce.
- An Ocean of Unknowns: Risks and Opportunities in Using Student Achievement Data to Evaluate PreK-3rd Grade Teachers
May 21, 2013
As of 2012, 20 states and DC require evidence of student learning to play a role in evaluating teacher performance.
- PreK-3rd: Getting Literacy Instruction Right
May 16, 2013
PreK-3rd: Getting Literacy Instruction Right, the ninth in the FCD series of Policy to Action Briefs outlines the elements of strong PreK-3rd literacy instruction including: what high-quality instruction looks like,what supports enable teachers to carry out strong literacy instruction, and what policies enable schools to carry out strong PreK-3rd reading instruction.
- Watching Teachers Work: Using Observation Tools to Promote Effective Teaching in the Early Years and Early Grades
January 6, 2012
This report from the New America Foundation by Lisa Guernsey, and Susan Ochshorn, argues for improving early education through teacher reform.
- A FirstSchool Framework for Curriculum and Instruction
September 10, 2010
Many curricula can be used successfully in pre-kindergarten and elementary classrooms.