- Making the Hours Count: Exposing Disparities in Early Education by Retiring Half-Day vs. Full-Day Labels
September 9, 2014
Making the Hours Count: Exposing Disparities in Early Education by Retiring Half-Day vs. Full-Day Labels highlights the differences in how time is measured and the lack of data available to accurately determine the length of the school day across states and districts.
- Subprime Learning: Early Education in America Since the Great Recession
July 17, 2014
- Transforming America’s Primary Education System for the 21st Century [PowerPoint]
March 16, 2012
This presentation was given by Past President Ruby Takanishi on March 13, 2012 as part of the U.S Department of Education webinar on PreK-3rd as a strategy to improve student achievement.
- The Link Between Third Grade Reading Skills and High School Graduation Rates
November 21, 2011
Materials from a presentation on The Link Between Third Grade Reading Skills and High School Graduation Rates given by FCD’s Donald J. Hernandez at the The Rutgers Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy and The National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER) on September 20, 2011.
- Making the Connections: Building an Early Learning System Beyond the Schoolhouse Walls
November 17, 2011
This Brief from the Advocates for Children of New Jersey (ACNJ) discusses the importance of making a connection between PreK and the early grades and between school district and community programs to provide young students with the foundation they need to be sucessful in school and in life.
- Case Study: Working Together to Build a Birth-to-College Approach to Public Education
December 15, 2010
The University of Chicago Urban Education Institute (UEI) and the Ounce of Prevention Fund (the Ounce) embarked on an effort to form a partnership whose vision is to “… build a model of public education for children and their families that begins at birth and creates success in school, college, and life.” The goal is to collaboratively and continuously align and create instructional practices, and academic and social supports, to demonstrate a new model of public education that seamlessly and successfully prepares children for college, beginning at birth.
- Lessons in Early Learning: Building an Integrated PreK-12 System in Montgomery County Public Schools
August 30, 2010
This report by Geoff Marietta provides an overview of how Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) in Maryland developed a successful PreK-12th Grade public education system by using local and federal dollars to craft, implement and improve a system-wide education reform strategy built on a foundation of providing high-quality PreK education.
- PK-3: An Aligned and Coordinated Approach to Education for Children 3 to 8 Years Old
June 17, 2010
This Social Policy Report summarizes the research basis for the PreK-3rd approach.